Editor's Note: We have changed the text below to reflect our new plans for a wet first weekend. Even if you read our first edition of this blog post, please read on for new scheduling info and you won't miss out on a great day!
Rain or Shine Plant Sale Open Farm Day at PFP returns Saturday May 6th and 13th from 9am – 2pm!
Everyone is welcome, bring friends and family!
Below are the schedules for each day:
May 6th – Rain or shine, thanks to the Environmental Co-op letting us use their barn!
- Of course a bounty of beautiful hand grown flowers, herbs and veggies to take home and plant or give to important people in your life.
- Guest CSAs: North River Roasters, a local Community SupportedCoffee Roaster and Back Paddock Farm who provide 100% grass fed beef and log grown mushrooms.
- Live Music with our very own farm crew member, Lauren McDonald, and guests.
- Workshare hours sign up (get the good spots!).
- New PFP Member Booth: Get “insider tips” for a more thorough orientation explaining the myriad benefits of what you’ve actually just signed up for!
- Multi-purpose art for your garden, yard, deck, windowsill or other interior places: Nine local artists will be selling handmade bird feeders, bird baths, wind chimes, vases, pots, berry bowls, baskets & other containers. You’ll recognize these artists as PFP members and some of the most dedicated volunteers who make the amazingly beautiful and collectible bowls for Soup A Bowl (our annual fall fundraiser).
May 13th – Everything above will return, but a few more activities will be offered if we are outside and back on the farm!
- Kids events: a Veggie piñata, make your own smoothies, arts and crafts and scavenger hunt.
- Little Brays of Sunshine – Miniature donkeys from Little Brays of Sunshine who serve as therapy donkeys and donkey ambassadors will be visiting PFP for Open Farm. These sweet calm donkeys are looking forward to meeting you.
- Make your own polenta: with Patrick and Nicholas on PFP’s bicycle powered grist mill.
- Make your own silkscreen print created by local artists: BYO clothing or cloth accessory, or we’ll provide t-shirts and aprons for a small extra cost.
- Le’Express Farmers and Chefs Food Truck.
- Guest CSAs: North River Roasters, a local Community Supported Coffee Roaster and Back Paddock Farm who provide 100% grass fed beef and log grown mushrooms.
- Celebrity Farm Tours: including the Meditation and Discovery Gardens(a tour every hour beginning at 10am with one of PFP’s staff).
- Live Music: with our very own farm crew member, Lauren McDonald, and guests.
- Tours of the Vassar Community Gardens: Not a lot people realize there are over 70 Poughkeepsie community members who have their own garden plots immediately adjacent to PFP. Each of the plots has their own unique design and purpose for the steward who has chosen to utilize this invaluable space. Some are novice gardeners, some are actual certified Master Gardeners, and several gardeners hail from a long history of family agriculture. Some of the plots are strictly used for maximum and most efficient produce consumption, some are artistically designed with long-time family heirloom flowers and vegetables, and some are experimental “works in progress” as that member explores and learns the ins and outs of gardening. This is truly a community of neighbors convening and expressing themselves using nature in some form or another.